Assistant Production Unit Leader – Lamination
Closing date: 31/01/2020
We are looking for an Assistant Production Unit Leader to join our fast paced, evolving Lamination department.
With a focus on continuous Improvement within an essential growth area of our business, our Successful Lamination Team takes Pride in their work to produce a wide range of colourful Laminated profiles for our nationwide customer base.
You will be Responsible for assisting and supporting the Lamination Production Unit Leader in leading their specific shift effectively and efficiently, with accountability for safety, quality, cost, delivery and people.
You will be expected to support the development your team unit whilst displaying Integrity and Teamwork at all times.
If you think you have these qualities which we call the VEKA SPIRIT, then we’d love you to join us.
- Assist the Production Unit Leader in taking full responsibility for all functions of the lamination shift including Packaging and Foil Slitting.
- Accomplish manufacturing and staff results by communicating job expectations, planning, monitoring and appraising.
- Assist in ensuring correct manning levels on a daily basis, organising flexible workloads and efficient management of resources, ensuring timesheet documentation is completed.
- To encourage teamwork and motivate the team to carry out tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Working with the Production Unit Leader to ensure that departmental employees are at all times aware of how their contribution meets the requirements of the customer.
- Assist the Production Unit Leader to ensure that detailed Work Performance Records, Appraisals and Training Matrices are maintained on a regular and timely basis.
- To assist the Production Unit Leader in ensuring that personnel are trained to both the VEKA training standards and any applicable NVQ standards, enabling and encouraging all persons to obtain the necessary skills to progress through the grades, maintaining ongoing personal and team training, development and growth opportunities.
- Helping to ensure that all members of the team at every level fully understand their responsibilities, both to themselves and others and at all time to comply with departmental and company codes of practice.
- To take responsibility alongside the Production Unit Leader, for proactive approaches for departmental performance and absence management issues, undertaking all necessary employee investigations / back to work interviews / issuing advice and encouragement and conducting disciplinary investigations.
- Uphold and live the VEKA Values at all times.
- To maintain a flexible and enthusiastic approach to Company matters.
- Deputise for the Production Unit Leader conducting team meetings and team briefings where necessary.
- Liaise and support department Works Committee Reps in their duties.
- To have the ability to monitor the quality of a product and ensure it stays within the VEKA quality specifications.
- In conjunction with the Production Unit Leader ensure that teams are fully aware of their responsibilities towards VEKA’s quality standards and systems.
- To assist the Production Unit Leader in consistently delivering quality products through continued improvement of processes, systems and people.
- Alongside the Production Unit Leader takes ownership and accountability of all finished products which are deemed not suitable for the customer or require working through.
- Help to ensure material handling, both mechanical and manual is carried out efficiently and safely.
- Maintain a safe and clean environment by working with the Production Unit Leader to educate and direct personnel, taking care of yourself, your colleagues and the company.
- Work with the Production Unit Leader to promote a Health & Safety culture across the team.
- To ensure any incidents are reported, recorded and investigated to the required standard.
- To maintain all Health, Safety, C.O.S.H.H., Environmental and housekeeping standards within the workplace and adhere to all Company working practices.
- Work with the Production Unit Leader to ensure regular safety inspections are carried out in areas of responsibility in order to proactively address H&S requirements
- In association with the Production Unit Leader, implement corrective actions where necessary.
- Liaise and support department H&S Reps in their duties.
- To enthusiastically promote and consistently implement Company policies, procedures and standards.
- To maintain an excellent knowledge of VEKA/Halo products/profiles and foils.
- To be fully competent to the standards specified within the VEKA training manual, having achieved appropriate NVQ qualifications in Lamination and attaining NVQ assessor awards.
- Assist the Production Unit Leader to communicate effectively to all levels within the business, using both formal and informal methods.
- To liaise and maintain working relationships with colleagues and departments on day to day duties and issues.
- To represent the Company in a professional manner.
- Helping the Production Unit Leader to maintain work flow by monitoring steps of the process, reviewing process variables, observing control points and equipment, monitoring personnel and resources.
- Maintain a quality service by assisting the Production Unit Leader to establish and enforce company standards
- In conjunction with the Production Unit Leader, help to foster a spirit of cooperation within and between departments
- Facilitating corrections to machine malfunctions
- Provide data to assist the Production Unit Leader in producing relevant KPIs specific to their area
- Learn to analyse production performance by compiling, initiating, sorting records and data.
- Begin to resolve problems by use of analysing data, identifying solutions, and recommending action.
- Assist the Production Unit Leader in the upkeep of the visual management boards within their area.
- Work with the Production Unit Leader to prioritise and monitor production workload to tight deadlines and assist in developing and implementing plans to achieve the department objectives which will be reviewed by the operational management team.
- Help to audit key controls in the department such as H&S, Housekeeping and Quality measurements.
- Generating and implementing cost reductions within the business.
- Communicate effectively to all levels within the business, using both formal and informal methods.
- Alongside the Production Unit Leader, maintain correct manning levels on a daily basis, organising flexible workloads and efficient management of resources, ensuring timesheet documentation is completed.
- To have an awareness and understanding of Continuous Improvement and Lean Manufacturing and be actively involved in supporting change.
- To liaise with colleagues and departments on day to day duties and issues.
- To ensure all paperwork including QS data and any necessary reports are completed accurately, legible and where required, submitted on time.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by the Manager from time to time.
- Live by our VEKA SPIRIT values
- Build key relationships
- Able to work a 3-shift system of 8 hour shifts (6am – 2pm/2pm – 10pm/10pm – 6am)
- Enthusiastic with a passion to learn
- Basic production knowledge would support an application, although not essential
- Quality Awareness
- Looking for a long term career with development opportunities
- Focus on Health and Safety at all times